Texas CHL Refresher Information
Currently the State of Texas no longer requires subsequent CHL renewal classes.
You are required, however, to complete the Online Renewal with The Texas DPS.
We at TexasCHL.us recommend that CHL holders attend renewal and updated training any time it is available in order to be educated on the most recent laws and regulations pertaining to your license and to take advantage of refamiliarizing yourself with your weapon.
Refresher applicants are invited to attend any of our classes at minimal expense.
You may complete our online Registration Form to register for an upcoming class. Registration form and the processing fees must be received seven days prior to the requested class date to ensure seating. (Please make a note in the comments section you are a refresher course applicant).
Complete the online state renewal application process HERE prior to attending your refresher class.
Please bring your renewal application packet from the DPS to the class if you are in need of assistance in completing any of the forms enclosed.
Refresher: $25 processing fee
Refresher class includes:
- Classroom Instruction
- Student Notebook (Print Here)
- TxCHL Laws Handbook
- (if you wish to shoot range fees and included target are $20)
What You Will Need to Bring
Student Notebook (Print Here)
If you plan on shooting, please review the following;
YOU CANNOT QUALIFY ON THE RANGE WITHOUT THESE ITEMS. (print checklist)
- Your handgun [semi-automatic (recommended) or revolver] of
at least .32 caliber (9mm and .380 are acceptable). DO NOT BRING YOUR WEAPON INTO CLASS. Leave it secured in your vehicle out of sight until we arrive at the range. All weapons and magazines should be UNLOADED before approaching the range area. An accidental discharge while loading, unloading or handling your weapon may be grounds for not receiving proficiency certification.
- All handguns should be in good repair and have no modifications that would make the weapon less safe. (please make sure your weapon is working properly and will operate without malfunction PRIOR to the class)
- Make sure you are familiar with your handgun.
- Make sure you zero your handgun as there is no time allotted in class for this.
- Ammunition - a minimum of 50 rounds (SAAMI* Specification) is required. NO RELOADED AMMUNITION WILL BE ALLOWED.
- Blount, Inc., C.C.I.
- Hornady Mfg. Co.
- Federal Cartridge Co.
- Remington Arms Co.
- Fiocchi of America, Inc.
- Accurate/Ultra Max
- 4W Ammunition
- Black Hills
- Eye protection (precription glasses with plastic lenses are acceptable).
- Ear protection (full over-ear type recommended).
- Head cover - cap or hat that will cover the head and the area toward the face (such as a baseball cap).
- Closed toed shoes and socks (absolutely no sandals)
**Passport photos already obtained at another location are acceptable should you already have them. Renewal applicants should bring their DPS Renewal packet including affidavits, fingerprint card and photo holder. If you have not received your renewal packet, please print the Renewal Affidavits from the DPS Website and bring them with you.
*Sporting Arms Ammunition Manufacturing Institute